Spring is a great time of year for cleansing the body. As the temperature shifts and days lengthen, so do our appetites shift and our energy levels begin to rise. Our palette begins to desire lighter foods and our bodies want to move. In the same way that we put away our winter boots and heavy coats, we can look at our diets and see if there is any pattern we’re ready to shed this Spring. Can we reduce the amount of caffeine, refined sugars and grains, or that baked goodie we tend to succumb to? Can we see if there is a habit that isn’t doing us a service anymore, like eating in a rush or absent-mindedly?
And as the Spring gifts us with increased vitality we can help to cleanse our bodies by trying some of the following tips:
- Start the day with a glass of water with fresh lemon to alkalize the body and cleanse the liver. Drink 6-8 glasses of water throughout the day to help flush the body of toxins and keep it well-hydrated.
- Increase the amount of fresh vegetables to at least 5-7 servings per day.
- Choose brightly coloured vegetables and fruits and their fresh-pressed juices for their beneficial antioxidants.
- Have adequate fiber in the diet to help remove toxins, aim for about 40 grams per day.
- Avoid processed and refined foods and choose whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds and their butters.
- Eat mindfully, focus on every bite and chew until food is a paste.
- Try adding sprouts to meals for their beneficial enzymes and nutrient density.
- Dry skin brush before bathing to benefit lymphatic flow and remove old skin.
Remember, there is no ONE cleanse for everyone, as we’re all different. Our bodies all digest, assimilate and remove differently. Beware the fad diet, the latest supplement craze and the trick that celebrity used one time and instead, try to tune in to your own body. Begin by making a few healthier choices every day and see how your body and mind respond. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
Written by Kathrin Brunner